Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Exam Question: How To Remove Ear Wax



"List 3 ways how to remove ear wax in this lady other than using ear drops".

I read the question thoroughly again anda again. Sounds like unbelievable question. Because that was not the main complaint of the lady since she came with symptoms of ear infections. I expected other things might be asked..

This is one of the question in final year theory paper as a final year medical student.

I remained static for a while with an opened mouth staring at the question displayed on the slide. 

And thinking, "What a question...so simple yet I don't know how to...".

I felt silly..it's not a tough question at all. I thought a more difficult question would be asked and here the most basic question came about common ear problem -ear wax. And I just smiling and laughing at myself silently..

It's okay. I tried to think of the answer...How do doctor remove the ear wax. Not a cotton bud please!! hehe..

Then instantly an idea came. I've experienced this actually -removal of earwax. Even tough I don't really have the exact knowledge about it theorethically at that moment. Flashback of memories came one by one, helping me to retrieve the answer.


-------------------------------

I've experienced having some kind of defective hearing due to impacted ear wax..

1) The memories during primary school days, my father tried to remove the ear wax in my ear using a slim, metal spoon.. and I scared of it, I felt it painful..and always resisted, ran away from it...Either it's one of the ear wax removal, I'm not sure. I just wrote- metal spatula. (spatula is spoon)

but when I checked, it's a plastic spoon called 'curette'..well...haha

2) I used to go to the clinic many times because of ear problem, the doctor prescribed me an ear drop. Instructed me to put few drops, tilt my head for a while in same direction and then against it to let it the wax..comes out... -but this is what the lady already done. Think of another answer!!

3) Then the memories in the 'Snow World' at Genting Highland Theme Park came. I was playing in a snow-like area, throwing the snow ball aimed towards friends. Then one of my boy classmate threw it and accidentally the snowball hit directly to my right ear. As a result of that, I couldn't hear well..It really disturbed me a lot...I quickly went to see the doctor. Again he gave me ear drop. There was another accident also at that time, where one of the boy got hit in one the eyebrow and have a cut on it. He got few stitches because of that. .

Later, When I came back to hostel, I went to see doctor, few times, with different doctors. And all were at private clinics. 

One doctor did irrigation on my right ear, to remove the impacted ear wax..so far as I could remember, I think he did flush the water into the ear and then irrigate it . - Hence I wrote 'flush with water' ( Actually I couldn't find the perfect word 'irrigation' .. lol )

So I just able to answer two and leave the third answer blank. Maybe better leave it blank rather than putting a probably dangerous answer..

------------------------------

I'll never forget this. Life experience really helped me in my exam, even without the idea or knowledge of it at all..Thanks to HIM..


-healthlover-

0 comments: